Cauliflower & macaroni cheese
Why not try this tasty cauliflower & macaroni cheese dinner for the whole family. Serves 4 and is under 600Kcal per serving!
- 150 g dried macaroni
- 200 g prepared cauliflower florets
- 50 g butter
- 45 g plain flour
- 440 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 40 g grated mature Cheddar cheese
- 40 g grated Red Leicester cheese
- 1 tsp English mustard powder
- 200 g frozen peas and sweetcorn kernels
- 15 g freshly chopped chives or spring onions
- 90 g crushed cornflakes and/or wholemeal breadcrumbs, mixed together
- 80 g bag fresh rocket or salad leaves
- 20 cherry tomatoes quartered
- Cook the macaroni in boiling water according to pack instructions. 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the cauliflower florets to the macaroni pan. Drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour and stir to make a paste or roux. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Gradually whisk in the milk, until a thick creamy sauce forms, 2 tablespoons of the cheese and all the mustard. Stir well.
- Add the peas, sweetcorn, chives or spring onions, macaroni and cauliflower to the sauce, stir gently, and spoon into a large ovenproof dish. Preheat the oven to 200°C, 400°F, Gas mark 6.
- Sprinkle the cornflakes and/ or breadcrumbs and cheese over the macaroni mix.
- Cook in the oven for 10-15 minutes until the topping is golden and bubbling.
- Serve the macaroni with rocket or salad leave s and cherry tomatoes.