Broccoli Cheddar soup
This Broccoli Cheddar Soup is rich, creamy and dreamy! Made with whole milk, cheddar cheese and plenty of veg, this soup is hearty, warming and the perfect recipe for colder months. It’s such a crowd pleaser and an easy vegetarian meal.
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 650 mls chicken stock
- 1 large (or 2 small) head of broccoli, finely chopped
- 500 mls milk
- 400 grams cheddar cheese
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: extra cheese, double cream
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add the butter.
- Once the butter is melted, add the diced vegetables and saute for 5 minutes or until the onions begin to sweat.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir. Cook for 3 minutes or so.
- Add the broth to the vegetable mixture and stir to ensure there are no lumps of flour.
- Add the chopped broccoli, bring to a simmer and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Optional step: if you like a smoother soup, feel free to use a blender or immersion blender to make the soup smoother! Just be sure to use care when blending hot liquids.
- To the simmering soup, add the milk and cheddar cheese. Stir until everything is melted, combined and warm.
- Serve in bowls - drizzle with double cream and sprinkle with extra cheese if desired.