Homemade baked beans with grilled cheese
These baked beans will keep refrigerated for 2-3 days and can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Try adding the beans to a toasted sandwich with cheese, or even stir into a vegetable soup for added dietary fibre.
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 400 g can cherry tomatoes in juice
- 400 g can salt reduced cannellini beans drained and well rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small sprig rosemary
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 thick slices wholegrain toast
- 120 g reduced fat vintage cheddar sliced
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, carrot and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes until the vegetables have softened.
- Add tomatoes, then fill the empty can with water and pour into pan with beans, bay leaf and rosemary.
- Cook covered for 30 minutes or until the mixture has thickened and vegetables are tender.
- Stir through remaining oil and season with pepper.
- Set aside, covered loosely in foil, for 5 minutes.
- Top each slice of toast with cheese and grill for 2-3 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling and golden. Arrange a slice of grilled cheese toast on each serving plate and spoon over baked beans.