Peach melba cake
Bursting with summer fragrance and sweet fruitiness; this peach and raspberry cake captures the essence of summer in a cake! A light yet moist cake with a slight crumb. A delightful bake indeed.
- 100 grams caster sugar
- 150 grams unsalted butter melted plus extra for brushing (cooled)
- 2 medium eggs whisked
- 150 grams plain Greek-style yogurt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 grams plane flour sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- half tsp baking soda
- 100 grams large ripe yellow peach One half finely diced, the other half thinly sliced.
- 100 grams raspberries
- 15 grams demerara sugar
- 15 grams flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan. Line an approx. 20 x 20 cm square cake tin with baking paper. Brush the bottom and sides with melted butter.
- In a large bowl place sugar, cooled melted butter, eggs, yogurt, and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- Now add in dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, and baking soda; mix well until well combined.
- Add the finely diced peaches and half of the raspberries and gently fold. Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake tin. Top the cake mixture with peach slices and remaining raspberries, pressing down gently.
- Scatter almond flakes and sprinkle of demerara sugar on top of the cake mixture. Bake for 40-50minutes until golden brown.
- Allow the cake cool in the tin. When cake is room temperature cut the cake into squares and serve.
This yogurt cake is best served instantly at room temperature with a spoonful of extra thick cream. *Serving size depends on how you wish to serve – mini squares cakes for afternoon tea or large squares for pudding, so ranges from 6-12 portions