Savoury garlic & cheese hot cross buns
Try our delicious hot cross buns with a twist; filled with Mozzarella and Cheddar cheese. The addition of sautéed garlic in butter gives these Easter faves a unique and rich savoury taste!
For the buns
- 2 garlic cloves + 2 tablespoons butter, chopped and sautéed
- 2 medium eggs
- 4 gr dry yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 600 gr strong flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 50 gr Cheddar cheese, crumbled
- 75 gr Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 250 ml milk
- 50 gr butter, softened
For the cross filling
- 25 gr white flower
- 40 gr icing sugar
- ½ tsp finely ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp Cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp Mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 egg beaten
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a pan and sauté chopped garlic cloves.
- In a large mixer bowl, combine dry yeast, sugar and flour.
- Add in salt, sautéed garlic and cheese. Then add one egg and mix. Follow with adding the other egg.
- Knead with the mixer for 5 minutes. Pour in milk and keep kneading for 10 more minutes.
- Once the dough feels smooth and less sticky, add in softened butter.
- Take out the dough, grease the bowl with butter and put the dough back in.
- Cover with a moistened towel and let it rise at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Then cover the bowl with a plastic bag and put it on the fridge for around 6-8 hours.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and flatten it a little bit with your hands.
- Divide into 10 even pieces. Shape into round buns and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Cover with a moist towel and let them rise for around 45 minutes until they have doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- In a large bowl, combine all the cross filling ingredients except eggs.
- Blend until combined using a hand blender.
- Fill a pipe with the batter and shape crosses over the raw buns.
- Brush buns with beaten egg and bake for 45 minutes until golden.